One of the jobs of the renal team is to work together to increase a renal patient’s opportunity to receive a living or deceased donor kidney transplant.
Getting a living donor kidney transplant is the ’Gold Standard’ treatment option for patients who have end stage renal disease.
The British Kidney Patient Association (BKPA) has temporarily funded a living donor co-ordinator at NHS Ayrshire & Arran to put together ways of getting more people referred as potential living donors through initial assessments, a method that has shown a significant increase at our local transplant centre in the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.
- There are a number of people within Ayrshire and Arran who have Chronic Kidney Disease and are receiving dialysis treatment for this and some are waiting on the kidney transplant list.
- Over 150 patients in Ayrshire and Arran are on dialysis.
- Almost 30 people are active on the national kidney or kidney and pancreas transplant waiting list.
- Around 200 patients who have received a renal transplant (kidney only or kidney and pancreas) attend follow up clinics at University Hospital Crosshouse.
In 2016 37.5 per cent of people in Ayrshire and Arran were on the NHS Organ Donor Register.
- Every day in the UK, someone dies waiting for an organ transplant.
- There are 540 people in Scotland waiting on a life-saving transplant.
- People in need of a transplant can spend years on the waiting list, enduring debilitating breathlessness, lethargy, and long periods of dialysis and hospitalisation.
- #WeNeedEverybody in Scotland to join the Organ Donor Register as only one per cent of deaths happen in circumstances where the person is able to donate their organs. The more people that join the more lives that can be saved.
- Currently, 43 per cent of the population in Scotland is on the NHS Organ Donor Register.
If you have renal disease or know someone who has and you would like more information on renal transplantation then please contact one of our renal transplant co-ordinators:
- Jill Park (Project Lead)Transplant Co-ordinators OfficeUniversity Hospital Crosshouse01563 825221 (extension 25221)
- John Lynch Renal Unit
- Pre-Dialysis Nurse Specialist
“A living kidney donation is an exceptional gift that can transform the life of someone on the transplant waiting list.” (Organ Donation Scotland)
Register Organ Donation Scotland - www.organdonationscotland.org/yes
Living Donation Scotland – www.livingdonationscotland.org
NHS Blood and transplant - www.nhsbt.nhs.uk
British Kidney Patient Association - www.britishkidney-pa.co.uk