Childhood diabetes service
NHS Ayrshire & Arran's childhood diabetes service is based in University Hospital Crosshouse. It is predominantly for children with Type 1 diabetes up to school leaving age. We also care for children with Type 2 diabetes and CF related diabetes, and vulnerable young adults who have not reached the stage of moving on to the adult diabetes service yet.
The service consists of a team of professionals trained in paediatric diabetes including:
- three paediatricians specialising in diabetes;
- four paediatric diabetes specialist nurses; and
- three dietitians and one clinical psychologist.
Children's diabetes Clinics
- University Hospital Ayr - Friday mornings Suite A, second and fourth Fridays of each month.
- University Hospital Crosshouse - Wednesday mornings ward 1C, second and fourth Wednesdays of each month.
Transition clinics (age 14yrs upwards)
- University Hospital Ayr - diabetes Centre, afternoons on the second Tuesday each month.
- University Hospital Crosshouse - Diabetes day centre, afternoons on the third Wednesday of each month.
- Nurses: 01563 826010
- Administration (secretary): 01563 825764
- To re-arrange appointments: 01563 826496
- University Hospital Crosshouse 01563 521133
Information leaflets can be found in our information leaflets directory